Sunday, January 16, 2011

Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap!

I actually got this idea from the Frugal Girls website, so can't take credit for this brilliant idea!

What you need:
An empty foaming soap bottle
Regular liquid hand soap in your favorite scent (the clear kind--it can be colored, but not creamy, you know?)
Water

The day before Thanksgiving, I was in Bath & Body Works and managed, with a sale they were having and a coupon I used, to get some of their foaming hand soaps for $2 a bottle (regularly $5!).  Now the bottles are empty.  I like the bottles to use for this because they're smooth.  If you have boys in your house who frequently have dirty hands, maybe you'll know what I mean by this:  Most soap dispensers have ridges in the lids that easily trap dirt, and it's so hard to keep them looking fresh for long.  The Bath & Body Works bottles don't have ridges--they're smooth!  Easy to keep clean.  I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's a contradiction to have a dirty-looking soap bottle. ;)

Anyway, I got a yummy-smelling bottle of regular hand soap for $1, poured about an inch or so of it into the empty Bath & Body Works foaming soap bottle, and filled the rest with water.  After replacing the lid, I turned it upside-down and swirled it around to combine the soap and water.  The Frugal Girls say you should never outright shake it or something awful will happen.  I don't know what that awful thing might be.  Dear Son took it upon himself, or so he informed me later, to shake the dickens out of it to make sure it was mixed properly, and nothing happened.  It just works. :)

And it really does work!  The fragrance isn't as strong as the B&BW stuff, but it smells pleasant and foams just as well.  Now I can't imagine paying what they're asking for a bottle with a little soap and lots of water!  But, that's me. :)  A $1 bottle of soap will go a long way now!

Oh, and I'm not recommending that you shake it, just saying that nothing happened to us.  That I'm aware of. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment